Wednesday 12 June 2013

123 Challenge Blog - June


Every five years or so we have professional family photos taken; it is something I started when we realised we had to go back through many years of photos to find one of my father-in-law when he passed away thirty two years ago. It became important to me to have really good photos of all of us. I don't like studio portraits, they do not suit my family of boys who have always loved being outside and particular in the Australian bush. This photo was one of many taken in 2001 in a park near our home. I didn't buy all the prints at the time but after losing our son in an accident all photos have become even more important to me. I was able to locate the photographer only a few weeks ago and she was good enough to give me all the negatives at no cost; you have no idea how much I appreciated her still having them. I had them printed immediately and have enjoyed going through them again.
My beautiful family; all I ever wanted in life and these wonderful men, my husband and all four of our awesome young men are my life. I have been blessed since these photos were taken; we now have four wonderful daughters-in-law and seven of the cutest grandchildren. I used to worry that having a child and then a second etc. would mean that they all got a little less love, I did not realise as a young woman that the more people you add to your family the bigger your heart grows to accommodate all of them.
This year, in a just a few weeks, we are due for our next photo shoot; I am looking forward to it as the family has grown so much in the years between; it will also be just a little sad as there is now one of us missing. I know he will be there with us in spirit.
Thank you for looking and any comments you may leave, best wishes.


The sketch is from the wonderful Becky Fleck - Pagemaps.com
http://123-challenge-blog.blogspot.com.au/

9 comments:

  1. How lucky are you that she still had the negatives and what a kind gesture of er to give them to you.
    I'm so glad for you that you have them now.
    Can't wait to see the new family photo... It certainly has grown!
    I love this sketch and I love the colours you have used and the misting looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan this layout is wonderful and the challenge suits it beautifully. I can't believe the photographer still had the negs and could locate them, it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely layout and precious photo.. and I enjoyed reading about your family.. I too love getting family photos when we all get together too, even if they are a bit rough and most people are not looking or being silly, you just do not know what is around the corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading your story Susan. This is why scrapping is so important to all of us! And I know what you mean about having to look a long way back to find a particular photo - we have a similar problem; we ended up with all my in-laws albums when they moved recently into an aged care home... so we have all the photos, but not one of them has a date, a name, anything on them! Now that they both suffer from them have dementia and alzheimers, and cannot shed light on the photos, it has made it even more apparent that journalling is really important! :) Anyway, love your layout, and thanks for joining in at 123! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments Leonie; it is sad to lose our loved ones and the history they hold to these diseases. Best wishes to you and yours.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful layout and thanks for sharing your story xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a lovely layout! really like your story too. you have done a great job with this challenge, glad you played along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely true what Leonie has highlighted. Our pages will tell our stories long after we cannot. Thank you for sharing yours with us at 123

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you have a regular family photo shoot...fabulous layout! Thanks for playing over @ 123 :)

    ReplyDelete